- 2 large eggplants
- vegetable oil to coat the eggplant
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2cm cube of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella (black onion seeds)
- More oil to fry the spices
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 (400g) can of tomatoes (or use same amount of peeled fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
Preparation:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Cut the eggplants into wedges about 5 cm long, arrange them on a baking tray, which has been covered with baking paper, and brush the wedges with oil. Bake them in a medium oven for 20 minutes, turn them over, brush them again and bake until beginning to brown. When baked set them aside while you make the sauce.
- Finely chop the garlic and ginger together.
- Heat oil in a pan and when it’s hot add in the nigella and fennel seeds. After a few seconds they will begin to pop.
- Add the garlic/ginger and fry for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder. simmer until it forms a thick tomato paste.
- Add the sliced, fried eggplant to the pan and heat gently for 5 minutes.